Dr. Rob Morris Home
Marker Number 752
La Grange, KY Highway 53 & 147
Home of Dr. Rob Morris, 1818-88. In 1884 "crowned Poet Laureate of Freemasonry." Founded the Order of the Eastern Star. He was born near Boston, Mass., lived 28 years here. From 1861 to 1865 president of the Masonic College, located in La Grange, 1844-73. Author of many Masonic books and poems. Grand Master, 1858-59, the Grand Lodge of Kentucky. Died here in 1888.
Annie Fellows Johnston 1863-1931
Marker Number 2503
125 Central Ave., Pewee Valley
A celebrated author of children’s fiction, she was best known for her “Little Colonel” novels. While visiting relatives in Pewee Valley, she met five-year-old Hattie Cochran and her grandfather, Col. Geo. Weissinger, the inspirations for the characters in the novels.The fictitious Lloydsborough Valley was based on Pewee Valley. - OVER -
(Reverse) An Indiana native, she wrote more than forty books, and most of the characters were based on people she knew. In 1910, she moved to Pewee Valley and bought “The Beeches.” She lived there with her step-daughter, artist Mary G. Johnston, for the rest of her life. “The Little Colonel” movie starring Shirley Temple was made in 1935. Dedicated March 29, 2017.
CSA Confederate Cemetery
Maple Ave., Pewee Valley, KY 146
In burying ground 1 mile south, marked by granite obelisk, lie remains of 313 soldiers who died while residents of the Kentucky Confederate home. The home was located on the high ground just northwest of here. It was used for CSA veterans, 1902 to 1934.
Dedicated June 3, 1963.
David Wark Griffith, 1875-1948
Crestwood, KY 22, 146
Oldham County native buried here. Renowned as director-producer of The Birth of a Nation, film drama of Civil War and post-bellum era, and also Intolerance, Orphans of the Storm, Broken Blossoms. He created dramatic and photographic effects, close-up and fade-out. He brought out Mary Pickford, Lillian and Dorothy Gish and other stars.
Funk Seminary Site
LaGrange, KY 53, 146
In 1841 William M. Funk bequeathed $10,000 to establish seminary. It was chartered by Legislature and erected here, 1842. In 1844 Grand Lodge of Ky. assumed control and changed it to Masonic College. In 1852 changed to Masonic Univ. of Ky. School reached its height in next decade. Civil War disrupted it. Reverted to high school in 1873. Building burned in 1911.
LaGrange Training School
Marker Number 2418
419 N. First St., LaGrange
Built in 1921-22, it was the ninth school in Ky. for African Americans supported by the Julius Rosenwald Grant. After completing the first 8 years of school, students were bussed 25 miles to the Lincoln Institute in Shelby Co. to attend high school. This ended after the 1964 Civil Rights Act integrated Kentucky schools. - OVER -
(Reverse) Rosenwald Schools- Site of one of the 158 Rosenwald Schools constructed in Kentucky between 1917 & 1932. The one-room schoolhouse provided an education for African American children required to attend segregated schools. This program grew out of Booker T. Washington’s vision for educational reform & his partnership with philanthropist, Julius Rosenwald.
Oldham County, 1824
La Grange, Courthouse lawn, KY 53, 146
Taken from parts of Jefferson, Shelby, and Henry counties, it was the 74th formed. Named for Col. William Oldham, native Virginian, officer in War of Revolution. Commanded regiment of Kentucky militia in ill-fated Indian campaign on Wabash River in 1791, led by General St. Clair. Oldham was one of over 800 killed in battle, half of troops engaged.
Old L & N Depot, Pewee Valley
Formerly "Smith's Station" - Setting of famous "Little Colonel" and other fictional portrayals of life in Pewee Valley by Annie Fellows Johnston. Her stately home, "The Beeches," 1/2 mi. N.W. Most prominent town founder was Henry S. Smith, 1802-83. A trustee of town, he owned property, surveyed roads, and helped establish girls' college and Pewee Valley Cemetery.
Originally dedicated June 2, 1963.
Richard James Oglesby
7701 Hwy. 329, Brownsboro Community Center, Crestwood
Born on July 25, 1824 in Floydsburg, Oldham Co., he was one of eight children born to Col. Jacob and Isabella Watson Oglesby, who, with two of his siblings, died in the 1833 cholera epidemic. Oglesby was raised by an uncle and moved to Decatur, Ill. in 1836. He fought in the Mexican War & Civil War, was married twice, & had eight children. - OVER -
(Reverse) A close friend and supporter of Abraham Lincoln, he is credited with introducing the “rail-splitter” image into Lincoln’s 1860 presidential campaign and was at Lincoln’s bedside when he died. Oglesby was a brigadier general in the Civil War and a three-time governor of Illinois. He died in Elkhart, Ill. on April 24, 1899.
Westport, KY 524
First called Liberty, located on 1780 grant to Elijah Craig. Ferry operated here by Levi Boyer early as 1800 formed a link in route to Illinois country. Town became a port to the west-Westport. In the steamboat era, the town was a thriving port for shipping farm produce and receiving merchandise. The first county seat of Oldham, 1823-38, except nine months, 1827.
Goshen, 4801 Greenhaven Lane
Formerly known as Clifton, home’s three sections built at different times. Thomas Barbour, a founder of Oldham County, established farm and built third portion of home ca. 1840. He sold farm in 1855 to Richard T. Jacob, who became lieutenant governor of Ky. Having been farmed for over 150 years, Woodland named to National Register of Historic Places, 1997.
(Reverse) Eighteen Mile Island, part of farm, was first source of water for co. public water system in 1964. In 1997 Laura Lee Brown and James Steven Wilson founded a nationally recognized breeding farm for American bison. In 2003 farm placed under protection from development with Dept. of Agr. Purchase of Agr. Conservation Easement program.